During the COVID-19 pandemic, we are able to host smaller groups at the wetland park while observing physical distancing.
NBBS offers workshops and events on site in Spallumcheen. Hands-on activities include:
- Youth involvement in the planning, surveying, design and construction of wetland ponds
- Planting native plants, trees and shrubs and learning about their traditional uses
- Constructing bird and bat houses
- Learning about wetland monitoring and ecosystem health in the water and on the land.
- Wetland inventory – birds, amphibians, insects, trees, plants – diarizing what lives or dies.
- Creating interpretive signs with Secwepemc and English plant names
- Creating cultural crafts and interacting with the farm animals.
The program focuses on the wellbeing of participants as they celebrate their cultural and natural heritage and we have observed the positive outcomes of offering workshops that teach new skills and build self-esteem. Participants have often commented that attending the program was a calming experience.